Yellow Mustard Nutrition Facts
Before we take a look at the different yellow mustard health benefits, let's take a look at the nutrition facts of yellow mustard seeds, and find out the nutrients they are endowed with, to provide all the goodness they do.
|Nutrients||Yellow Mustard Seeds (1 tsp)|
|Dietary Fiber||0.5 g|
|Omega-3 Fatty Acids||87.1 mg|
|Omega-6 Fatty Acids||84.2 mg|
As you may have noticed, yellow mustard is a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids, magnesium, selenium, and zinc. As such, it is a valuable source of several nutrients that are essential for a healthy, well-functioning body. You may also take a look at mustard greens nutritional value.
Health Benefits of Mustard
Whether you consume it as a seed, whole or ground, or as a sauce, you will definitely be able to reap the benefits of mustard. Take a look at all that it has to offer.
- Mustard seeds contain phytonutrient compounds that help prevent the risk of developing gastrointestinal cancer. These compounds in a variety of studies conducted, have found to restrict the growth of already prevalent cancerous cells and further inhibit the development of more such cells.
- One of the primary benefits of mustard seeds is that they are rich in selenium and magnesium. These nutrients have shown to reduce the prevalence of rheumatoid arthritis, and the severity of asthma due to its anti-inflammatory properties. The magnesium content in mustard seeds helps reduce high blood pressure.
- Yellow mustard health benefits also include its ability to reduce migraine attacks, to prevent the body from the development of heart disease, and to ease some of the painful symptoms of menopause.
- The anti-inflammatory compounds in yellow mustard, according to some studies, have shown to be able to prevent Alzheimer's disease.
- Mustard seeds are a rich source of antioxidants, and have anti-fungal and antiseptic properties, that make their consumption highly useful for the body.
- Mustard seeds have the capacity to increase the body's metabolic rate, that not only is beneficial for the body, but also eases the process of digestion. As such, it is a good choice for weight watchers.
- Another benefit of yellow mustard for weight watchers is that it can, and should be consumed instead of other dressings rich in carbohydrates and sugars, such as ketchup and mayonnaise, as it is low in calories. One teaspoon of mustard has only 3 calories, as compared to the 100 plus calories in mayonnaise.
How to Enjoy all the Yellow Mustard Health Benefits
Presented here are some serving suggestions for yellow mustard that will not only enhance the flavors of your meal, but also endow you with all its rich nutrients.
- Bake a chicken breast marinated in the above mentioned mustard sauce and white wine and enjoy.
- Roast some yellow mustard seeds and cool them. Combine it with peas, tofu, leeks, and roasted millet, and pour some lemon juice and olive oil to enjoy this salad.
- You may even add some honey to the yellow mustard sauce, and use it as a healthy vegetable dip.